News . . .
Martyn will be judging the 2020 Segora International Poetry Competition – follow this link – open now till the 15th June 2020
Martyn’s most recent publications are:
Cargo of Limbs (Hercules Editions, 2019): poems by Martyn Crucefix; images by Amel el Zakout; essay by Choman Hardi. Blurb: “Martyn Crucefix knows in his bones that “what / happens is what’s true” and his liquid, propulsive poem records, like the accompanying photographs by Syrian artist Amel el Zakout, the horrible adventure of survival. Cargo of Limbs sees or struggles to see; it is a lament and a rebuke, a concise saga of our savage time” – Dan O’Brien
and These Numbered Days, poems by Peter Huchel, tr. Martyn Crucefix (Shearsman Books, 2019). Blurb: Joseph Brodsky hailed Peter Huchel as one of the finest poets of the last century. In Iain Galbraith’s view, “supple and arrestingly sensual translations, Huchel surprises us as a fresh and startling voice for our own numbered days”.
Up-coming Events . . .
- Wednesday 4th March @6.30pm: Martyn will be reading at INSEAD Alumni Association, The Tokenhouse Cellar Bar, 4 Moorgate, London EC2R 6DA. Other readers/translators are Mimi Khalvati, Tim Ades and Rachna Chowla. Tickets and more info here.
- Sunday April 26th 2020: Martyn will be reading at the Enfield Poetry Festival with Maggie Butt, Mimi Khalvati, Cheryl Moskowitz and Mario Petrucci. 7pm in The Dugdale Centre, Enfield £8/£5conc.
- Thursday 28th May 2020: Martyn will be Guest Reader at Uncut Poets, at Exeter Phoenix Theatre @7.30pm.
- Sunday 31st May 2020: Martyn will be reading at Torriano Poetry, London with Chrys Salt. Further details tbc.
- Wednesday 8th July 2020: Martyn will be the main reader at The Tetbury Goods Shed Arts Centre @7-9pm – further details tbc
- September 2020: tbc Martyn is adjudicating the Segora Poetry Competition, prizes to be awarded probably 5th/6th September.
- Sunday 13th September 2020: Martyn will be reading/discussing Cargo of Limbs at the Suffolk Poetry Society, Tea at The Priory, Stoke-by-Nayland. 3pm. Private Event, SPS members only.
- Thursday 29th October 2020, Martyn will be Guest Reader at Words and Ears, The Swan Hotel, 1 Church Street, Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire BA15 1LN. Entry: £4. @7.30pm.
- Martyn will be reading in 2021 at the Reading Poets Café. Date and times tbc.
Previous Reading/Event dates:
- Friday 29th November: Martyn read for Hercules Editions at the Chener Bookshop, 14 Lordship Lane, Dulwich SE22 8HN. Reading with Tamar Yoseloff, Jaqueline Saphra and Sophie Herxheimer.
- Thursday 21st November: Martyn launched Cargo of Limbs (Hercules Editions, 2019): poems by Martyn Crucefix; images by Amel el Zakout; essay by Choman Hardi @ P21 Gallery, 21-27 Chalton Street, London NW1 Map. Guests will include poet and translator Stephen Watts.
- Saturday September 28th: Martyn talked about the poetry of Robert Frost at Palmers Green Library, Broomfield Lane, Palmers Green, London N13 4EY. Entry £3. (£2 conc). Plus readings by Mark Holihan and Denise Saul. 1-30pm – 4pm.
- Saturday 5th October: Martyn read for Agenda Poetry Magazine at the Art Worker’s Guild, 6 Queen Square, London WC1. 7pm for 7-30pm. Reading with Patricia McCarthy, Hilary Davies, John Greening, Caroline Maldonado, Abegail Morley and Timothy Ades. Entry Free.
- Sunday 20th October: Martyn read alongside Joan Michelson at Torriano Poetry, 99, Torriano Ave., Kentish Town, London NW5 2RX. 7.30pm. Entry: £5/£4 conc.
- Tuesday June 18th 2019: Martyn wwas guest reader (with Hilary Davies) at the Lumen Church @ 88 Tavistock Place, Kings Cross, London WC1H 9RS.
- Tuesday 15th January 2019: Martyn was one of several translators reading at the Lumen Church – with George Szirtes, Elaine Feinstein, Tim Ades and more @ 88 Tavistock Place, Kings Cross, London WC1H 9RS.
- Tuesday October 2nd: Martyn was headline reader at Beyond Words, @ The Gypsy Hill Tavern, London SE19 1QH. 7.30pm £4/£3 concs.
- Monday September 10th: Martyn talked about translating Federico Garcia Lorca’s poems with Hilary Davies and Michael Glover – a real soiree with music and related art work @ Omnibus Arts Centre, 1 Clapham Common North Side, London SW4 0QW. £10/£8 concs.
- Saturday 19th May: Martyn read with Will Stone and Alwyn Marriage @ 7pm @ Poetry in the Crypt, St Mary’s Church, Upper Street Islington N1. Admission £5.
- Thursday, 3rd May: Martyn read with Jacqueline Saphra, Nic Stringer, Astrid Alben, Michele Penn and Fiona Larkin. 7pm @ Poetry Café, 22 Betterton Street, London WC2H 9BX. £6 entrance.
- Sunday 22nd April: Martyn read @ Cheltenham Poetry Festival @ Cheltenham Playhouse Theatre Lounge @ 7pm Ticket: £5/£7. Martyn will be joined by American novelist Lania Knight. Tickets: £5.00 – £7.00. www.cheltenhampoetryfest.co.uk.
- Saturday 21st April: Martyn read new poems at Palmers Green Poetry, St John’s Church Parish Centre N11 3EQ at 7.15pm – other readers are Frogmore Papers editor, Jeremy Page, MsLexia Competition prize-winner, Bryony Littlefair, Jude Willetts and Marvin Orville.
- Monday 19th February: reading from The Hippocrates Books of the Heart. Others appearing include Diana Pooley, Lesley Saunders, Gillie Robic, Geraldine Clarkson, Audrey Ardern-Jones, Jane Kirwan, Penelope Shuttle, Mimi Khalvati, Kate Miller, Fiona Moore, Danielle Hope, Mike Batholomew-Biggs & Nick MacKinnon.
- Saturday 3 March: reading O. at the Edge of the Gorge @ Poetry at the Room , 7.30 – 9pm, 33 Holcombe Road, London N17 9AS £5 entry.
- Sunday 18th March: an ekphrastic writing workshop at the Swindon Museum and Art Gallery and at the Richard Jefferies Museum. Book places here.
- Monday 19th March: reading at Locally Sourced Readings and Live Music, @ The Alliance, 40/42 Mill Lane, West Hampstead NW6 1NR from 7.30 – 9pm – more details from FB page here.
- Saturday 24th March: workshop on Robert Frost’s poetry, from 10 – 1pm @ the Community Room, Palmers Green Library, Broomfield Lane, London N13 4EY £25 (£20 concessions)
- Friday 19 January: as part of a discussion panel @ 6pm – 8pm, in the Enitharmon Gallery, 10 Bury Place, London, WC1A 2JL – on translating poetry with David Harsent (translating Yannis Ritsos); Emma Wagstaff and Nina Parish (co-editors of ‘Writing the Real: A Bilingual Anthology of Contemporary French Poetry’; and Jane Duran (translating Lorca). Entry is FREE but book tickets here
- Wednesday 24th January: read at 7pm @ Capital Letters (@CapLetLDN/ https://www.facebook.com/capletLDN ), at St Margaret’s House, Old Ford Road E29 PL – reading alongside fellow Guillemot Press poet, Nic Stringer.
- Reading with others at the UK launch of The Hippocrates Books of the Heart at 6pm on Wednesday December 6th at Medical Society of London, 11 Chandos St, London W1G 9EB.
- A new poem, ‘Summers ended in sweetness’ will be read (by an actor) as part of the DUSK Solstice Festival on the evening of 21st December 2017. Other poems, stories and music will be performed.
- Launching O. at the Edge of the Gorge (Guillemot Press ) a new sequence of 14 linked sonnets – art and design by Phyllida Bluemel. Reading with Andrew McNeillie and Nic Stringer at Terre Verte Gallery, Altarnun, PL15 7SJ in Cornwall from 6pm on 11th November 2017.
- Reading from The Lovely Disciplines (Seren Books , 2017) on Monday 20th November 2017 at Toppings Bookshop, Bath.
- Reading at the 2017 Torbay Festival of Poetry on Saturday 21st October 2017.
- Reading translated work from the Daodejing, at Highgate Literary and Scientific Institution, South Grove, London N6 (on Pond Square) at 6pm on Sunday 22nd October. With Tim Ades and Caroline Maldonado.
- Martyn will be reading from The Lovely Disciplines (Seren Books , 2017) on Wednesday 20th September 2017 at the Ouse Muse reading series, organised by Ian McEwen in Bedford.
- Martyn will be giving a talk about the poetry of Edward Thomas at Palmers Green Library N13 4EY at 2.30pm on Saturday 30th September 2017 (for National Poetry Day)
- Martyn will be reading (briefly at around 6.30pm) on Sunday 1st October 2017 with many other poets in a Poem-a-Thon in support of the Enfield Refugee Welcome fund, at the Dugdale Centre, 39 London Road, EN2 6DS.
- Martyn will be reading at 7.30pm on Saturday 7th October with Mona Arshi, Julian Stannard, Caroline Gilfillan and Rishi Dastidar at the Discovery Centre, Winchester (‘UK-India Festival of Words’)
- The London launch reading will be on Monday 18th September at the newly refurbished Poetry Café at 22 Betterton Street. Come for a drink at 7pm and a reading from the book at 7.30pm.
- reading at the launch of Magma magazine, LRB Bookshop, 6.30pm, Friday 24th March 2017.
- a workshop on the Bruegel exhibition at the Holburne Museum, Bath on 25th February 2017.
- has been teaching sessions for Poetry School on metrical verse 24/31 October + 7th November. See his blogs about this here.
- reading new and older work at a South Bank Poetry reading at Torriano Meeting House in London at 7.30pm on Sunday 27th November 2016
- reading with the Palmers Green Poetry Society Stanza Group on 2nd November at St Giles-in-the-Fields, London, WC2H 8LG – further details here.
- discussing the challenges of translation at the Bloomsbury Festival Pop-Up Literary Festival with Chris Campbell, Literary Manager, Royal Court Theatre and Gregory Thompson, Creative Entrepreneur in Residence, UCL at 11.15 on Sunday 23rd October in the Churchill Room, Goodenough College, London House, Mecklenburgh Square, London
- reading from Daodejing (with a reader of the original Chinese text) at The Beehive Poets in Bradford, 8.30pm on 10th October 2016reading on National Poetry Day, 6th October 2016 at Palmers Green Library, Broomfield Lane, London N13 4EY with Katherine Gallagher, and Myra Schneider
- reading from Sonnets to Orpheus and discussing the inspiration of the Orpheus figure with Michael Glover, Anne Wroe, Marius Kociejowski plus music at Omnibus Arts Centre, 1 Clapham Common Northside SW4 OQW at 7.30pm Monday 5th September
- discussing A Hatfield Mass with Jacqueline Saphra’s Poetry School writing group on Wednesday 6th July 2016 at The Poetry School, 81 Lambeth Walk, London.
- at Buzzwords in Exmouth Arms, Bath Road, Leckhampton, Cheltenham at 8pm on Sunday 24th July 2016
- at Enfield Poets, Dugdale Theatre on Saturday 4th June 2016
- at Ware Poets , Ware, Herts – 8pm on Friday June 3rd 2016
- at Words and Ears, 7.30pm Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire on Thursday 26th May 2016
- BOOK LAUNCH: Martyn’s new versions of Laozi’s Daodejing on Tuesday 19 April 2016, 7pm at ENITHARMON 10 Bury Place, London WC1A 2JL
- at the Albion Beatnik Bookshop, Oxford, with Olivia Byard. 7.30pm Friday January 15th 2016.
- at the StAnza International Poetry Festival @ St Andrews, Fife, Scotland, 2-6th March 2016
- judging and reading at the 2016 Teignmouth Poetry Competition, closing date 31st January 2016 with results to be announced at the Teignmouth Poetry Festival on Sunday 20th March 2016. Martyn will read from his own work, present the competition winners and run a workshop during the Festival in March 2016. Festival Website.